Picked up a sheet of .75″ plywood today. When’s the last time you felt how heavy those things are? Dayam.
Moving through the sequence. Tonight we cut a piece of the plywood to fit over the joists we put in the other night, which now allows me to finish the test layout without the obstruction of the wall heater hole. Notice the 1 5/8″ gutter on either side of the tiles right now. It’s because I pulled out that additional strip.
The real purpose of this layout is to go through and mark which tiles need to be cut, and where. Along with the cutting of tiles, we’re gonna take some of the old wood strips I pulled and rip two twenty-five foot lengths of 1 5/8″ borders, one with a tongue, the other with the groove, with both borders being cut square on the inside of the piece. Every other tile within the two outer rows adjacent to said borders will need one tongue cut off in order to rest flush against the border. Deck glue will be going under the tiles during the setting, with toenails going before the sanding and finish.
Despite the sawdust and the semi-sticky ebony tiles, the piece now finally exists in three-dimensional space. It’s real! I just stood on it for a while, staring at it beneath my feet. A few alternative mathematical perspectives occurred to me that I hadn’t noticed before. And yet they make perfect sense. Tickles the logic bone.